Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blessings!!


        The laughter of my grandchildren,a visit from my daughters,a phone call from a friend or distant relative,the ability to see again,good food,strong coffee,a sunny fall day,the smell of fallen leaves,a long leisurely walk,soothing music, a glass of wine in the evening,cooking for the people I love,birdsong,the sound of the river falling over the dam,hugs.
        These are just a few of my many blessings! The older I get the more I seem to appreciate the simple things in life.I was feeling grumpy the other day and said to someone that I didn't understand why they call my age the golden years . Arthritis was causing my body to ache and my eyes were tender from surgery and I was feeling sorry for myself. But that day passed and something as everyday as watching my grandson play made me realize how very blessed I was!
         I don't have a lot of money, my clothes are either second hand store bought or hand-me-downs, my furniture is yard sale finds,and,yes, I have to deal with various health issues daily. But I am blessed!
        I am blessed with waking every morning to start over with a brand new day, I am blessed with 2 children and 3 grandchildren that give me much love and bring me much joy every day,I have known deep,all encompassing love and strong friendships.I have lived all over this vast country and traveled to many states and several other countries.
      I have met Dr. Christian Barnard and his wife while sitting next to them on a plane,Bob Seeger when he was still in college before he was famous , was friends with Mark Farner(Grand Funk Railroad) when I was in grade school, met actors Rob Riener, Mike Douglas, Doris Day when I lived in California,..and many more interesting and curious people along the way. I sang in a band that didn't really go anywhere but a few house parties but I had a ball!! I raised 2 children all by myself and I think I did ok all things considered.I have lived a very full and interesting life and its not over yet!!
       These are the golden years. So yeah, it takes me a few hours to get moving in the morning but my mornings are mine now that I'm retired.I can do with them what I chose to do. I answer to no one and do what I please.I am grateful for all my blessings and for each new day I am able to open my eyes and really live!!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment